Saturday, September 15, 2012

Silk Purse Necklace


Silk Purse Necklace
(click on image to make it larger)

I'm sure you've, like me, gone into the studio with the intention of cleaning it out, getting rid of "quap" as my 6 year old grandson says, throwing out old clay scraps, organizing, simplifying - in other words, being artistically adult. So I pull out this scrap that I've hung on to for several years because I wanted to remember the colors (why not just bake a sample disc, you ask?) I decide I'll use it to practice spiral lentil beads.

If you ever get the chance to pick up a book by Sean McNiff called "Trust the Process", you may find it fascinating. It deals with the fact that the creative process is independent of your deliberate intentions, and, that if you allow it to proceed and unfold, in other words, you trust it to be true in your case, things will happen that will amaze you. My right brain, in working to create beauty, even in practicing with lumps of scrap clay, made creative decisions, and "what if's" came to mind that caused me to handle the clay in new ways, exploring ways of manipulating this scrap to reveal it's beauty.

Here are some more close-ups:

 





































 

Assembling the beads with black agate rounds and Czech crystal facetted ovals in dusty rose, picking up the hints of rose color in the lentil beads, silver spacers and a sterling toggle clasp definitely has turned a Sow's Ear into a Silk Purse!

2 comments:

  1. Your lentil beads are gorgeous! Isn't it amazing some of things that turn out so well from just playing around with scrap clay :)
    I'll have to find some 1200 grit to try for sanding... usually I just use a sealant instead of the sanding. I need to make some time to sit down and play with my clay, seeing your lovely creation has gotten my hands itching to dig out the clay bin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stacie,thank you so much for your comment. That's exactly the reason why I do this blog - to encourage someone to get "itching to dig out the clay bin". You've made my day!

      Delete